Improve Your Tomorrow (IYT) was founded in 2013 with the mission to increase the number of young men of color (YMOC) to attend and graduate from colleges and universities. We envision a nation in which young men of color are overrepresented in higher education, underrepresented in the criminal justice system, and leaders in their communities. With remarkable resilience, authenticity, and passion, we work to combat academic inequities and build a college-to-community pipeline.
Reporting to the Director of Policy and Advocacy, the Brotherhood Action Committee Coordinator (BAC Coordinator) serves as the point of contact for planning, organizing, and executing regional BAC meetings, coordinating youth organizing and advocacy efforts, and engaging BAC members in one-on-one forums. The coordinator will have the ability to organize a diverse representation of the community to achieve progress on the priorities set forth by the 1300 Campaign strategic plan, advocate for the passage of state and local legislation, and develop youth leaders.
• Plan, organize, and execute regional biweekly Brotherhood Action Committee meetings to teach youth organizing principles
• Identify and develop student leaders through one-on-one and small group meetings
• Recruit Brotherhood Action Committee members
• Grassroots leadership development with youth across IYT regions
• Foster an organizing mindset to BAC youth and teach them how to become effective youth organizers
• Policy development and research
• Train students and parents on the legislative process, community organization, political communication, and other advocacy strategies to enact policy change
• Network with other local groups that are organizing education and social justice campaigns
• Track BAC attendance and outreach through the Salesforce data management system
• Organize BAC members to show up and/or speak at events related to state or local legislation
• Coalition building
• Development of youth-driven advocacy campaigns
• Other duties as assigned
• Have a passion for IYT’s mission, vision, and values
• Exceptional writing, editing, and research skills
• Minimum 1 year of experience working in the youth organizing space with a proven track record of successful youth-led advocacy campaigns.
• Demonstrated coalition-building skills with the ability to explain, advocate, and articulate facts and ideas in a persuasive manner
• Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle competing deadlines
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of an engaged policy team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
• Fluent in English and Spanish
• Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce data management tool
• Ability to think strategically about 1300 Campaign goals and youth organizing and implementation strategy
• Previous internship in policy or organizing field
• Minimum 1 year of experience working in politics, policy, education, or community organizing plus 1 year of experience working in a youth organizing space
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution is required.
At least one year of experience working in a youth organizing role is required. One year of experience in politics, policy, or community organizing, or a combination of any of the above in addition to an internship in a policy or organizing position is strongly preferred.
This is a full-time non-exempt position. Normal working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5 PM. Occasional work after regularly scheduled hours and on weekends is required. This position will travel at least 80% of the time visiting IYT sites between Sacramento, Bay Area, and Central Valley regions to conduct in-person meetings and workshops with brothers as needed.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $19.23 - $24.04 per hour and is commensurate with experience. IYT offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance, 401k option, life insurance, up to five weeks of paid vacation, and mileage reimbursement for approved work-related travel.
**NOTE: Employment with Improve Your Tomorrow requires a COVID-19 vaccine, fingerprinting, and the ability to pass a background check, with expenses covered by the employer. A valid driver's license, a personal vehicle, and auto insurance are also required.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled with an ideal start date of July 5th, 2022.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
IYT is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Your application was submitted successfully.