Executive Assistant to the CEO and COO
Improve Your Tomorrow (IYT) was founded in 2013 with the mission to increase the number of young men of color (YMOC) to attend and graduate from colleges and universities. We envision a world where men of color are overrepresented in higher education, underrepresented in the criminal justice system, and leaders in their communities. With remarkable resilience, authenticity, and passion, we work to combat academic inequities and build a college to community pipeline.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief Operations Officer, the Executive Assistant provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the CEO and COO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors and senior management teams; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts, and oversees special projects.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO and COO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the CEO’s and COO’s schedule is followed and respected. Provides "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO’s and COO’s time and office.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the CEO’s and COO’s, with Board members, donors, staff, and others, on matters related to CEO’s and COO’s programmatic initiatives.
- Prioritizes and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO and COO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO’s and COO’s to keep him well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the CEO and COO, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgment letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO’s and COO’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Participate actively in the planning and execution of company events
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team including assisting in scheduling meetings
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites, and all-staff meetings
- Facilitates cross-divisional coordination of travel and outreach plans
- Follows up on contacts made by the CEO and COO and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships
Board Support and Liaison
- Serves as the administrative liaison to IYT board of directors
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and donors
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various
competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Associates degree required
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university preferred.
- Minimum 1-2 years of working in a professional office setting
- Experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization (preferred)
- Experience and interest in project management and external communications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
Schedule: Full time with occasional weekend work events
Salary: Hourly range is $19.24 - $24.09. Benefits include vision, health, dental, 401K, and two weeks paid vacation.
Work Location: The Executive Assistant will work at IYT’s Sacramento office.
Apply at www.improveyourtomorrow.org. If you have any questions about your application please contact, (916) 299-3432 or email firstname.lastname@example.org