Director of Finance
Improve Your Tomorrow (IYT) was founded in 2013 with the mission to increase the number of young men of color (YMOC) to attend and graduate from colleges and universities. We envision a world where men of color are overrepresented in higher education, underrepresented in the criminal justice system, and leaders in their communities. With remarkable resilience, authenticity, and passion, we work to combat academic inequities and build a college-to-community pipeline.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance serves as a member of the senior leadership team and oversees IYT’s finance functions. They are responsible for managing a $9 million budget, conducting financial analysis, presenting financial reports to the board of directors, and serving as a strategic advisor to the CEO and COO.
- Direct the day-to-day accounting operations including oversight of accounts payable and
receivable, and maintenance of the general ledger through QuickBooks.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual tax and audit process, liaise with external auditors, CPA’s and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning processes in conjunction with senior management; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts/invoice management and financial management/ reporting system; monitor contractual/grant obligations, ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; monitor and improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Oversee payroll, payroll liabilities, and benefits including PTO accrual and retirement plans.
- Create and maintain excellent financial controls, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure that financial record systems are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and monitor the use of all funds.
- Remain up-to-date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems, and internal control measures, and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Manage Finance team that includes a Staff Accountant and Bookkeeper.
- Believe in the mission, vision, and values of Improve Your Tomorrow, Inc.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, audits, and other regulatory requirements in the financial
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team setting
- A track record in grants management
- Possess high emotional intelligence skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, economics or a related field
- Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of nonprofit finance/accounting experience
- Minimum 2 years of management experience
- Experience with accrual accounting
- Experience with managing federal grants
- Experience with AmeriCorps financial and budgeting experience
- Experience with overseeing the quality and content of all financial data and audits
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues
- Expert computer skills, including Office, with advanced proficiency in Excel, Access, and QuickBooks
Schedule: Full time with occasional weekend work events
Salary: Annual salary of $90,000 to $120,000. Benefits include vision, health, dental, 401K, and paid vacation.
Work Location: The Director will work onsite at IYT’s Sacramento office.
Apply by September 19, 2021, at www.improveyourtomorrow.org. If you have any questions about your application please contact, (916) 299-3432 or email email@example.com